Friday, January 23, 2009

They'll get you in the end.

They always do.

Today's tirade is about bathroom tissue. I have to buy single ply as that's all our poor, old fashioned, toidy can deal with. I'm waiting for the toilet fairy to bring me a new, high rise, super flush. So far she's passing us by.

So, back to the tissue at hand. I was buying Scott tissue. It's single ply, 1000 sheets a roll. Yes, it feels like sandpaper. It accomplished it's task though. It costs about 60 cents a roll when it's on sale.

I was at Sam's a month or so ago and noticed they had a store brand of single ply, 1000 sheet paper. It came out to be less money per roll. Into the cart it went.

I have since noticed that even though the new tissue may have the required 1000 sheets (I haven't counted), the roll is about 1/2-1 inch narrower than the Scott tissue! Now I need a higher math degree to figure out if I'm getting a better deal with the narrower, cheaper, Sam's paper, or the wider, more expensive Scott tissue!

As I don't enjoy math, I'm going to do my own scientific experiment not using a calculator. I'm going to put a roll of the Sam's paper in the bathroom and see how many days we get out of it. I'm then going to put a roll of Scott tissue in there and do the same. Barring any unusual bathroom incidents, it should do the business.

You may now go back about your regularly scheduled day.

3 comments:

Carlos said...

now that's the kinda science that I can get behind...let me know what happens

Kate said...

You Are Understood. I do this sort of thing too. I am at present in the middle of an experiement to determine if it is cheaper to turn the hot water cylinder off and on.

CLS said...

Well - since y'all are using the single ply down at your end (pun intended) and I believe the sewage system runs eastward (up our way) toward the major sewage elimination area - - it is a good thing you are doing down there. The use og single ply on your end will allow us to utilse the softer two ply on our end. :) Iy youse guys cause a slow flow down there it could have a negative impact on the flow here - definitely NOT a good thing. As for the smaller paper - well that will permit more water flow with less impedance - again a good thing - - - it is so special to have good friends who share ones sewer system......